Saturday, January 1, 2011

30 day Challenge: Day 22

Day 22: Favorite City

When I think about the handful of cities I love, one stands out as the clear favorite: St. Augustine, Florida. One of my favorite place in world, hands down!

My first trip to St. Augustine was when I was in 8th or 9th grade. It was a Spanish trip, and I was only able to go because the slots hadn't been filled by older students. I was really excited about it because I was getting to go with my boyfriend, who was a year older. I never imagined it would become my favorite city.

If you don't know much about history, you probably don't know a lot about St. Augustine. It is full of beauty; full of a rich Spanish history. Everything screams "I'm centuries old!" I don't think I really appreciated it fully the first time I went. I loved wandering around on the streets and looking in the shops. Christopher and I ate at a little restaurant with a water wheel (this was the meal I discovered how much I love sour cream) and we went to the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum (SO COOL).

I loved this city so much that my parents decided a good present for my 18th birthday would be a family trip there. I was SO excited to go back. We did a lot of the same things I had done in my first trip, along with going to the fountain of youth and the castillo de san marcos. It was definitely one of the best birthday presents ever. We also went into a shop I had found years before that has maps of European countries and divided them into family areas. Remember O'Keeffe castle? Oh yes, we found the O'Keeffe's of Ireland and found our code of arms. It is yellow and green with a lion.

I can't wait until I can go back to St. Augustine. I haven't been since my birthday trip, so I am itching to go again. If I had the money, one day I would LOVE to live there.

No comments: