Monday, March 21, 2011

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 30

Day 30: A Picture



This picture was taken last week at a ceremony honoring my dad's father, who was killed in Vietnam on March 19, 1969. The next year, MCLB Albany dedicated the mess hall to him, and this plaque was put on the building. A couple years ago, the base decided to tear down the mess hall and the surrounding buildings to erect new barracks. They once again asked my family if they could dedicate this new building to Floyd Milton Keefe. 

Now this same plaque will be on the new barracks, and it will always stand in memory of this grandfather that I never got the chance to meet. It means a lot to our family that they think highly enough of his service and sacrifice to put our family's name on a building for everyone on base to see!

2 comments:

Jay St. Pete said...

I regret that neither you nor I met your Grandfather, although I was from Montgomery, and was in the Marines in Vietnam at the same time. I saw his name on the Virtual Wall http://www.virtualwall.org/istate/istatal.htm, next to where mine might have been, and saw your blog post via Google. His service and death were not in vain. May he rest in Peace.

April Nicole Keefe said...

Thanks so much for your comment! It is so good to know that other people are thankful for the service and sacrifice. I'm very glad you made it home to your family. It's so crazy that you two were so close and never met. Hopefully we'll all get to meet in Heaven one day!