Friday, April 25, 2008

Where Shopping Is A Pleasure.....

There's something I love about buying clothes. I'm not sure what the draw is for me, but when I walk into some of my favorite stores I always tend to find something I want.

Today, for example, I went to the mall. I wasn't really planning on buying anything, but I walked into a store to browse, and ended up with six items in the dressing room: three dresses and three skirts. Of course, I loved three out of the six.....but I had to make a decision! I knew I didn't want all of them, because two were the same color. I made a fairly quick decision, and went on my way. Because it was a favorite store of mine, I had a discount card for 10% off my purchase. I ended up spending almost 30 dollars- not too much, but definitely more than I planned on beforehand.

What is it about a cute new outfit? I love buying clothes. It may seem shallow, but I'm very much into fashion. Working at a scrub store and having a P.E. class every day doesn't leave much room for wearing real clothes, so I have to squeeze whatever I can into my weekends; also, incidentally, the only time I have to actually go shopping.

I've thought many times about parlaying my interest in clothing into a career. We have sales reps that come to our store every season, selling new collections. They travel all over their area of the country, going from store to store, showing samples and taking orders. Some of them also have a hand in naming some of the prints.

I haven't really gotten far in this train of thought. I think it would be an interesting career, but I guess I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to give up the choices that will ensure me a job. People always need writers and historians! Not so sure about these kinds of sales reps.

I entertain this idea every once in a while, never coming to an actually decision. I guess for now I'll stick with just being a consumer in the market, as opposed to some executive who sells instead of buys.

No comments: