Friday, April 11, 2008

The Art of Present-Buying

Today is my dad's birthday. It comes exactly one week and one day after my parent's anniversary, which was last Thursday. I decided to be a good daughter and try to buy them a present last week. After running around for two days, I ended up with a candle for my mom, a movie for my dad, and chocolate covered strawberries for me- I mean, for the two of them to share.

My dad is an extremely hard person to buy things for. He doesn't need anything. He doesn't wear ties, the normal go-to present for a dad. He wears suits to work, doesn't own a pair of jeans, only wears three different pairs of shoes, and has a trusty old wallet. We have nice TVs, a DVD recorded that we got him for Father's Day, and countless other presents that you buy for the people who have everything.

I didn't really have time to go shop for him a present this week, so my mom and I decided to get something a little bigger and just go in it together. At first, she was looking at a Blackberry Pearl. He works at the Marine Base, and he goes on trips a lot. The only laptop we have is mine, and, since I need it for school, he usually doesn't have a computer with him. She thought it would be useful on his trips and just good to have. She changed her mind, though, after going to the Alltel store and finding out that it cost $45 a month to be able to get on the internet. As of now, she has decided to go back to MY first suggestion in this category: an Ipod Touch. It can get on WiFi, you can listen to music.....it's basically the next best thing to having an Iphone (only the coolest thing ever).

So here it is, after 8 pm on his birthday, and I assume she is on her way home after purchasing this very expensive gift. I'm not sure if he'll actually like it or not. He's not the biggest gadget-geek I know! I did, however, make a deal with my mom: if HE doesn't like it, I'LL take it. And my dad and I are just sitting here, waiting. Maybe she'll be here soon! In the meantime, I believe I will work on my poker paper and think about all the fun things I can do with the Ipod touch if it ends up being mine!

4/11/08

No comments: