Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Smithsonian

I just got home from dropping my dad off at the airport. He will shortly be on his way to Kansas City, for a week of meetings and conferences. He works at the base, and has to travel constantly. He usually goes by himself, but one time our entire family got to go along for the ride.

That particular time we went to Washington, DC. We took our light blue Honda Odyssey on the sixteen hour drive from our house to the nation's capital. I was seven at the time, my sister eleven. Of course, with two young children it's almost impossible to travel that far in one sitting, so we drove to North Carolina and stayed with family for a night. We got up early the next morning and drove the rest of the way to DC.

We got to our hotel later than night, and I was awed at how big it was. Sixteen floors, the top one being a huge pool and a five-star restaurant that cost about $40 per person (we didn't go there).

My dad had meetings all week, so my mom, sister, and I were the sight-seers. We went to the Smithsonian, one of the greatest things I have ever seen in my life. We actually got lost in the middle of everything and spent about an hour just wandering around by the treasury.

My favorite part of the trip was going to the Woodley Park Zoo, the biggest zoo I had ever seen. We went all around that zoo, ending up at the gift shop, where my sister and I each came out with our own monkey. Mine was a spider monkey that I named Woodley after the zoo!

Twelve years can take a lot away from a memory. I think it's a sad thing that I don't remember much about what we saw other than how it made me feel. We have pictures to help, but it has still faded away over time. I've tried to talk people into taking another trip there.....I even tried to get our senior class to go there (that didn't work). I really hope I can go back there one day- maybe I'll remember it a little better the second time around!

3/16/08

No comments: