Friday, February 1, 2008

An Ode to Big Red

I came home yesterday to see a new car in our yard. A white Chevy Malibu is the newest addition to our cars. Not because my parents just decided to go out and buy a new car; this is because our beloved Buick park avenue, Big Red, is still in the shop, where it has been for over a month. As I stated in a previous blog, I got a new car in November. I had been driving the buick, which I inherited from my grandmother when she decided to buy a new one, since I got my license. She and I had bonded, but she is ten years old with a lot of miles on her.

I'm not quite sure what was wrong with the car when we took it into the shop. My dad took it after my mom got out of school (she's a teacher) for Christmas break. This was the week before Christmas, and we figured they would be finished within a couple weeks. Obviously this wasn't the case.

If you watched the news over the holidays, you might have seen some coverage of the break-ins at David Smith Autoland. They had two, the second about three days after the first. It just so happened that during the first break in, my beloved Buick was the only car stolen from the lot where they keep cars they are fixing. This happened right around Christmas, either the day or two before, when the shop was closed. We found out my car (I still refer to it as mine) was stolen, it was almost a week later. The mechanic who does all of our car work didn't even know it was our car that was stolen until my grandfather went to check on it.

I was devastated. I loved that car! I was at my boyfriend's house when my mom called to let me know, and I couldn't stop myself from crying. Silly, maybe, but you have to understand that I also hadn't cleaned the car out yet, so a lot of my stuff was still in the backseat and trunk.

Two days later, New Year's Eve and my Mom's birthday, we got a call saying that the police had found her. The car was sitting in some lady's yard, and she claimed she knew nothing about it. They had it towed away; towed because the people who took it drove it until it completely ran out of gas.

The top is dented in from when they drove it through the hole they cut in the fence. Everything is gone except for the case to my Vera Bradley umbrella: school books, earrings, and old Gameboy, everything! In the place of my belongings, they had left chicken bones.

Back to the shop it went. It had to be fixed mechanically and bodily: new paint, detailing, the works. And there it has stayed since December 31st.

My mom had inherited the Buick from me when I got a new car. She had given HER new car, an 06 Altima, to my sister, whose Jeep Cherokee was traded in for my car. When school started back, my mom needed a car to get back and forth. Her first was a white Ford Focus- tiny compared to the huge beast of a car we were used to driving. The next one was a red Impala with gray interior. And now we have the Malibu. I just can't wait for the day when my Buick is back in the yard, welcoming me home as I drive into our driveway.

2/1/08

No comments: