Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Turning Things Around

There are some days when all I want to do is go home and sleep. Today was one of those days. I have a 9:30 Accounting I class on TR and I just could not get there on time today. I left my house fifteen minutes late, finally got to school, ran up the stairs to my class, only to find that the back door to the classroom was locked! I had to walk to the other door and then in front of the entire class because my desk is on the far side of the room.

My day just started off wrong. After school, I called my former youth pastor's wife and was asked to help with the Disciple Now weekend that is put on every year. It's a big deal in the youth group and I attended it for five years. I loved every minute of it! I met one of my good friends through it, and it was always a great time to grow closer to friends and God. The inquiry made me feel extremely special. This is the first time I've ever been asked to do anything like that!

My day started to turn around after this request. I ate lunch at Chilis with my mom and went to work. The store-front manager filled me in on the things that had been going on earlier in the day. She told me that our boss had read about this neat thing that could be done using our computer system- somehow, we could type in a style and get a picture of the item. None of us had ever heard of that before, much less knew how to do it. I started to play with the system and it took me about five minutes to figure it out. I was so excited- it was so cool! I showed it to the other workers and finally to the boss. I was very proud of myself for actually figuring it out before anyone else.

My day was so much better after that. It made me be excited again about my job. After being there for almost a year, I've been kind of bored lately. It made me want to work on the displays more and hang up new clothes to get steamed and a lot of other nominal tasks that I don't like to do most of the time. I helped our intern do a few sales and special orders. I even didn't mind when two ladies stayed for about ten minutes after we closed because they were trying to order some new uniforms.

After starting the day off badly, I was pretty surprised when it got better. Usually that doesn't happen for me. It really taught me to not write off a day before it's done!

No comments: