Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Weekend to Remember

I spent the weekend with 15 seventh grade girls, all under one roof, sharing two and a half bathrooms. Now I am completely exhausted, wanting only to sleep through the entire week.

Disciple Now is an annual even at my church. I attended it for years when I was in middle and high school. We would pack up our things, stay in someone else's house for Friday and Saturday nights, and have Bible studies and a competition for first place in our recreational games. It was something I always looked forward to.

DNOW 2008 was no exception. I was asked to help out this year as the college student for the seventh grade girls. My job was basically to keep the girls in line and help out the adults with cleaning and organizing. It was the first time I had helped out with DNOW, as opposed to being a part of it. I really didn't know what to expect.

After staying up until after 1:30AM on Friday night because of the girls begging to do a pajama fashion show, I was completely exhausted when I got up at 8:30 Saturday morning. Our next task was getting everyone ready for recreation. It wasn't until 1:00pm, but we had 15 girls to deck out in yellow! Each grade has a color, and, obviously, seventh grade was yellow....BRIGHT yellow. Not the greatest color on me, but bright enough to tell where all of my girls were at all times!

The disastrous recreation time included games with a lot of running and a scavenger hunt all over town with a lot of reckless college drivers (I wasn't one of them!).

Everything cumulated on Sunday morning. We had to be up even earlier on Sunday morning to head to church because everyone had to pack their bags into our van and trunks. I could barely stay awake during church and our Sunday school rally. I crashed into bed the moment I possibly could, very happy to be back in my own bed.

If there is one thing I learned this weekend, it's that I am definitely not a girl who can stay up all night any more. Dealing with girls who CAN taught me that. So now I think I'll go curl up in my bed while it's dark outside, and take a good long nap.

2/26/08

No comments: