Friday, February 22, 2008

Rain, Rain GO AWAY!

Yesterday started off badly. I had an accounting test at 9:30 that I just wasn't looking forward to taking. As it turned out, that awful test was not the low point of the day.

I work every Thursday. I leave school, grab some lunch, and eat it in the kitchen in the back of the store. My plan for yesterday was no different. I decided to get a sandwich from the Philly Connection, next to Honeybaked Ham in front of Walmart. It had started raining by then, so I grabbed my stuff and ran to the door of the restaurant.
Instead of taking my purse with me, I elected to simply carry my phone and wallet. After all, the purse is mostly white and the love of my life- why risk it getting soaking wet? It was perfectly logical to me.

As I sat at a little two person table waiting for my food, I had an awful realization: I had locked my keys in my car! Instead of putting them in my pocket, I had slipped them into my purse, like I always do, before I decided to leave it in the car- meanwhile, neglecting to take the key OUT of it.

To some people it may not be a big deal. I could call my parents and have one of them bring me another key, right? WRONG. That key is the ONLY key to the car. I knew that was going to come back to bite me, seeing as I lock my keys in the car too many times for comfort.

So there I am, sitting in Philly Connection, with no key and no one to bring me another one. And I still didn't have food yet! In somewhat of a panic, I called my father, the one who always rescues me (usually by helping me out after locking my keys in my old car- a car that we had 4 sets of keys for!). I got his voicemail. I left him a semi-rushed message telling him to call me as soon as he got back to his desk. Then I tried my boyfriend, Caleb. I got HIS voicemail too, and left him a similar panicked message. I finally got a hold of my mother, who reassured me by telling me she would call Fairway Toyota and see if there was anything they could do to help me.

By the time we had this conversation, I had received my food. My dad then called me back, informing me that, in order for the Toyota people to help me, I had to get the VIN # of my car. I had to go out, in the rain, and stand there, writing down the number that took me forever to find.

Next, I had to walk from the Philly Connection to the Toyota place, in the rain. I was wearing black flats and teal workout pants, intent on changing once I got to work. The pants happened to be about two inches too long; in other words, the bottoms were completely soaked. I attempted to roll the up, but one side refused to cooperate as I began my trek across the street.

After walking in the rain and having the front desk lady laugh at my distraught appearance and predicament, I finally reached the parts-and-services department, where I received my long-awaited key. Then began my trip back to my still-locked car and long-lost key.

As I drove myself to work, with my hair plastered against my face from the rain, I chuckled to myself thinking "What a hard way to get an extra key! It would have been so much easier just to have one made BEFORE I locked them in my car!"

2/22/08

No comments: