Thursday, December 2, 2010

30 Day Challenge: Day 10

Day 10: Something You're Afraid of

I apologize for the fact that the topic ends in a preposition. I don't like that.

Ok. So there are two things in this world that I am absolutely terrified of, and I am not too happy to have to write about them. Nevertheless, I am going to do it because I committed to this crazy 30 day challenge.

#1 Spiders
You know the song with the line "I don't like spiders and snakes!" Probably not, it is something my dad sings a lot. That line could have been written about me. I hate spiders sooooo much. More than anything on the planet. No, it is not an irrational fear. There is a perfectly good explanation for it.

When I was 7 or 8, I was watching a mystery show on tv. It was something I probably shouldn't have been watching at that age, but I was completely enthralled by it. The show was all about this woman who had died and no one could figure out why. By the end of the show, they figured out that a deadly spider had crawled in the woman's shoe and bitten her when she put the shoe on her foot. She DIED BY SPIDER.

I think I made my point.

So, yeah. Spider are pretty awful. The only time I have ever hyperventilated was because of a spider. Sara and I were on our way back to Athens from home and there was a spider on the windshield INSIDE THE CAR. On my side. Uncool! I started freaking out and basically crawling out of my skin. I was desperately trying to get out of the car and as far away as possible. We were on a tiny two lane road with no shoulder and no street lamps, so there was nowhere for Sara to pull over until we finally made it to the gas station at the end of the road. As soon as Sara stopped the car, I flew out in my stocking feet onto the wet pavement. After some difficulty in actually killing the spider - which had to be done, because I made it perfectly clear I was not going to get back into the car until it was gone - we got back on the road.

#2 Trains and train tracks.

I am not going to spend a lot of time on this one, but I hate trains. Yes, there is a logical explanation for this one, too. Basically it stems from the fact that I have had two dreams about getting hit by a train. In the first one, I was in the car with my then-boyfriend, Christopher. He and I were driving down the road when all of a sudden a train came out of nowhere. I saw it coming then everything went white. Creepy, right? Yes. The second dream was very similar, except it was on a different road and with different people.

The major event, though, was in real life. My mom and I were on our way to school one morning when I was in 11th grade. I always took naps in the car because we got up so early and had such a long drive. So there I am, sleeping on my pillow in the front seat. When we crossed over our second set of railroad tracks, I lifted my head, looked out the window, and there it was: a train. Coming towards us. I started freaking out, of course.

To this day, I really hate going over those train tracks. I hate all train tracks and I inwardly wince when I go over them.


So there you go- the two things I am afraid of in this world. Don't use them against me!

No comments: